Changes in Hockey
The SAMHA Board of Directors and staff support the dialogue that is taking place in the media, within our membership and across the country about how hockey can evolve. Our game is truly great, but we must acknowledge that significant changes need to occur for hockey to remain a safe and inclusive environment for everyone.
The executive leadership within Hockey Canada has a tremendous influence and responsibility to uphold their stated Mission to lead, develop and promote positive hockey experiences. Any individual or group responsible for the governance and delivery of hockey in Canada; should be held to the high standard of conduct that many Canadians are currently expressing. We are optimistic that the change in leadership within Hockey Canada will align with these standards of conduct and bring about meaningful change.
St. Albert Minor Hockey Association trusts that our provincial Branch, Hockey Alberta, is engaging with Hockey Canada in a meaningful way to ask questions, influence change, promote accountability, and address the challenges within hockey culture.
We have shared our perspective on these topics with Hockey Alberta and continue to work with them to support change.
- Online access to the incident reporting form - completed
- Coach acknowledgement of Bullying, Harassment, and Maltreatment policy- completed
- Improved access to learning opportunities for coaches - almost there; we've added courses to our website - but need to do more.
- Review of policies and processes, including an update to the code of conduct - completed.
- A new requirement for all SAMHA and Raiders coaches is to complete an additional coach education course, "Making Ethical Decisions". This course must be completed before the start of the 2023 season.
- SAMHA Board has committed to taking the Responsible Coach Movement Pledge.
- SAMHA is committed to forming an independent Discipline Committee to review all Major Incidents of Maltreatment, Bullying and Harassment reported to SAMHA or the Raiders.
- Commitment to form a Player Advisory Committee in the SAMHA and Raiders programs this season.