ABOUT THE SAMHA BOARD OF DIRECTORS
SAMHA is a not-for-profit organization that is governed by a 15-member Board of Directors. Five Executive Officers hold direct responsibility for all aspects of the organization; they are supported by 10 elected Directors and various committees. All elected positions have an overall responsibility to represent our members’ interests.
The following points highlight some of the important aspects and expectations:
- Be involved in discussions and offer personal perspectives based on experience
- Work cooperatively with fellow Directors, Officers and Staff
- Be willing to fully participate in and/or lead committees and meetings
- Know and respect the distinction between the roles of Board and Staff
- Attend all Board meetings
- Participate in decision-making and policy-setting
- Participate in community events
- Be familiar with SAMHA Bylaws and Policies which govern the organization
- Be familiar with Hockey Alberta and Hockey Canada regulations, playing rules and policies that pertain to the duties of a SAMHA Board member
- Be aware of SAMHA activities and programs
- Exercise vigilance and declare any apparent or real personal conflict of interest in accordance with the SAMHA Board Member Agreement.
- Act with honesty and in good faith in the best interests of SAMHA, and not for personal gain or the benefit of any third party
- Maintain solidarity with fellow Board members in support of decisions that have been made in good faith from a reasonable presentation of facts
If you are interested in becoming a member of the SAMHA Board of Directors, please contact Shauna Hudec (firstname.lastname@example.org).
At our AGM this year, the SAMHA Board of Directors will be seeking to fill nine positions.
Some of our existing Board members intend to return to fill some of these positions, but not all of them. To support the long-term objectives of the Association, the Board must attract and retain diverse members. Last month, the Board of Directors committed to forming a Nominations Committee. The Nominations Committee works on behalf of the Board to recruit and secure a strong and balanced leadership for the Association. The committee will support recruitment, education, evaluation and succession planning.
We are seeking to fill three positions on the Nominations Committee. This is a six month commitment.
If you would like to be involved, please email Jane Sedo at email@example.com.