- The Head Coach holds full responsibility for the activities of the team
- All coach applicants will be asked to participate in player evaluations in September for a minimum of 4 hours
- Coaches are encouraged to participate in the various development opportunities that SAMHA provides throughout the year
- The Coach Selection Committee will work to determine coach assignments
- In some cases, coaches may be appointed prior to evaluations; however, the majority of coaches will be named during evaluations or before the team draft
- We remain committed to ensuring players are placed with players of similar skill and ability. Parent-coach assignments will align with the skill level of your child
HOW TO LOOK UP YOUR QUALIFICATIONS
The Hockey Canada Registry site is also where team officials can sign up for or find information on any Hockey Canada Clinic.
- If your HCR profile is not with SAMHA, you will have to request a transfer. To transfer your profile, we require your full name and date of birth.
- If you are unsure what credentials you have or require, please email Seema King, SAMHA Registrar.
1. Vulnerable Sector Check
Unfortunately, the RCMP is no longer accepting electronic requests. All VSC must be obtained in person from the RCMP. To waive the processing fee, SAMHA must verify your volunteer commitment.
If you do not submit a valid VSC or complete the required qualifications, prior to November 15th your name will be removed from the roster, and your team will be billed $50.
2. Respect in Sport – Activity Leader Certificate
The Respect in Sport Activity Leader/Coach Programeducates coaches and activity leaders to recognize, understand and respond to issues of bullying, abuse, harassment and discrimination. It may be the single most important training leaders receive to assist in creating a safe, healthy and respectful environment for all participants. This is a minimum requirement for all coaches.
This course expires every four years. If you are unsure when your course expires, please look up your certificate in your Hockey Locker.
SAMHA remains committed to supporting a positive culture in hockey. SAMHA holds coaches in a position of leadership to the standards defined in our Coach Code of Conduct.
Make Ethical Decisions (Online)
- analyze a challenging situation and determine if it has moral, legal or ethical implications;
- apply the NCCP Ethical Decision-Making Model to properly respond to each situation in a way that is consistent with the NCCP Code of Ethics.
Teaching and Learning (Online)
- assess your own beliefs regarding effective teaching
- analyze certain coaching situations to see if they promote learning
- create conditions that promote learning and self-esteem through:
- appropriate consideration of the affective, cognitive, and motor dimensions of learning the use of words and methods that relate to an athlete’s preferred learning style;
- a sound organization;
- active supervision; and
- the use of well-formulated feedback offered at the right time and with the right frequency
- use teaching assessment grids to gather objective information on teaching effectiveness, and use this data to develop an action plan to enhance your own effectiveness as a teacher and coach.
Players Mental Health (Online)