Coach Application Process
Volunteer application form. SAMHA is seeking coaches for the 2021-2022 Hockey Season. Please submit your coach application as soon as possible.
Coach Application Process
- Head Coach is the named coach for the team, this person will be listed on the roster as Head Coach and will be the main contact for the team
- Anyone wanting to be a Head Coach and or dedicated Assistant Coach must evaluate during the tryout/evaluation process for a minimum of 8 hours
- Each team will consist of a Head Coach, dedicated Assistant Coach, and bench staff to a maximum of 5
- Due to the number of qualified applicants we receive each season, coaches will only be permitted to be a Head Coach and or dedicated Assistant Coach on one team.
- In situations where we don't have enough applicants, we will allow coaches to be on two rosters upon approval from the coach selection committee
- SAMHA does their best to offer coaches various opportunities for further professional development over the season. Coaches will be expected to actively participate during 3rd party ice sessions, mandatory classes and webinars specific to their division
- The application process closes, June 30th, 2021 *This has been extended, please submit your application as soon as possible
- Coaches will be informed if they have been shortlisted by Aug 20th, 2021
- Certifications must be complete by November 15th, 2021
Step # 1
Complete the SAMHA Coach Application Registration Form.
Step # 2
Please complete the Respect in Sport Activity Leader Certification. This certification needs to be renewed every 4 seasons. If you have already completed these seminars, please ensure you have your RIS- Activity Leader Certification # as you will require it to complete your online coach application.
SAMHA has purchased codes for coaches who need to take the course to waive the cost. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org PRIOR to taking the course. Once you have received the code click on the logo to take the course.
Step # 3
All coaches are required to have a current Criminal Record Check. Please contact email@example.com to obtain a volunteer commitment letter. This will allow you to apply for a FREE Police Information Check including Vulnerable Sector Screening. You will not be reimbursed for the cost if you obtain one on your own without a SAMHA letter. If you are not sure if you have a valid CRC on file (completed in the 2019/20 season or later) please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire.
Step # 4
In the process of selecting coaches, the Coach Selection Committee will give preference to coaches who have completed their required certifications prior to team selection. We encourage you to register for any certification courses that you may require. Please review all the required courses before completing your application. Hockey Alberta Required Coaching Requirements 2021-2022.
This year SAMHA will have the opportunity to host a Coach 1, Coach 2 and Checking clinic prior to the start of the season. If you require any of the in-person clinics, contact the Development Director email@example.com and a link to sign up will be provided to you. If you are not sure of what courses you have or may require please log into your eHockey account.
*Please remember to sign up to be an Evaluator or On-Ice Helper during Evaluations as each Coach Applicant is required to volunteer for a minimum of 8 hrs. Please sign up here. Volunteer application form.
Questions? Contact our Development Director, Andrew Chuckrey, firstname.lastname@example.org or 780-242-2572.